1. Hire EmployeesIf there’s a “help wanted” sign hanging in the window, then restaurant point of sale solutions can spread the word. Integrated technology can generate automatic postings across multiple job boards, while electronic management of onboarding documents streamlines the hiring process.
2. Train EmployeesRestaurant point of sale solutions should have an intuitive interface that’s easy to learn and use. Many systems come with a touchscreen, user-friendly technology that reduces the amount of training time for staff and ensures accurate order entry.
3. Reduce TurnoverInvesting in technology may help you attract and retain employees. A PwC study of millennials from 75 countries found that 59% of workers say state-of-the art technology in the workplace is important when considering a job.
4. Shorten Wait TimesIntegrated reservation management software allows you to easily manage customer seating and table service. Heartland’s Digital Dining’s restaurant reservation system and table management modules, for example, work together, allowing hosts to control table availability.
5. Increase ProductivityMobile point of sale solutions empower staff to work more effectively, so they can turn tables faster and boost profits. Tableside ordering shaves minutes off the time spent at each table, by cutting out the back and forth to the POS terminal.
6. Increase Spend Per TicketGift card holders don’t mind splurging—these customers will spend up to 40% more than their card value. These diners may come in because they have a gift card and order more than they typically would if they were “paying” for the entire meal. Online ordering can also increase ticket size, allowing customers to take their time when they order and pay in advance with a credit card. You POS system can allow you to offer gift cards and online ordering, as well as provide customer service that can encourage increased spending.
7. Increase Your Spend Per CustomerDiners love to feel appreciated for their business. People will spend more if they can earn points, coupons and free menu items, which your POS system will allow you to manage through loyalty program functionality.
8. Decrease Food WasteRestaurant point of sale solutions that integrate with kitchen display systems reduce the opportunity to make mistakes, which cuts the amount of time and ingredients used remaking food that was prepared improperly. Inventory management helps menu plan and prevents overbuying.
9. Increase Time to Spent Focusing on the CustomerStreamlined processes allow servers to focus on customers and not on technology. Servers can spend a few extra minutes at each table, answering questions — and even upselling drinks and sides.
10. Communicate with CustomersRestaurant point of sale solutions that facilitate loyalty programs, online ordering or have an integrated CRM are goldmines of customer information. Restaurant owners and managers can use customer contact info to send out information about new menu items and promotions.
11. Market Your BusinessA POS does more than just ring sales. It also includes tools to market your restaurant, such as customizing receipts with surveys, coupons and promotional messaging. Many POS solutions also have digital signage functions.
12. Protect You from FraudIf someone presents a stolen chip card to buy a gift card or pay for a large party and your staff swipes the card through a non-EMV-compliant terminal, you’re responsible for the purchase. Restaurant point of sale solutions that use EMV payment processing will protect you from card-present fraud and chargebacks.
Restaurant point of sale solutions do more than allow servers to enter orders and take payments. They are comprehensive technology packages that do everything from processing transactions and tracking customers’ purchasing habits to managing digital signage content. If you’ve investing in the right POS system, all of these capabilities are at your fingertips. Make sure you are using your POS system to its full potential.